Friday, February 19, 2010

Is quiet overrated?

Do you ever just yearn for quiet. My house is always loud. The car is always loud. Even the restroom is loud. (Mommy, what are you doing? Mommy, why is the door shut? LET ME IN!!!) I find myself turning off the radio, in the rare instance when I am alone in the car, just so I can have complete silence. It is my chance to think and to be selfish... and it is so very fleeting. I often wonder how long I can sit out in the car while parked in the garage. How long will it take my husband to notice that I have not yet made it into the house?


Never fear, soon I am back in my Neverland with flying Peter Pans and Wendys, following the leader at the top of their lungs, with the baby screeching even louder so as not to be forgotten. And every once in awhile there will be a sudden silence and I freeze. Not because I've once again gotten my silence that I s0 crave, but because now it is too quiet. Every mother knows it...What is it that has silenced my brood? The house is too quiet. And so I stop what I am doing to find the reason why the roucus has suspended.

And you know what, since I'm there I might has well join in the fun.... so I scoop up the baby, grab the hand of the two year old and call out to oldest as we skip through the house singing, I won't grow up, I won't grow up.....



(It is in these moments that I remember, one day the house will be nothing but quiet and I will pray for this noise and laughter and joy. But they, the makers of our noisy life, will be gone, living in their own homes, raising their own spririted children, searching for their fleeting moments of silence.)


So since we are singing, I figure we might as well be doing it at the top of our lungs! (while we still have the chance.) ....I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A TIE, I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A TIE...

No comments:

Post a Comment