Thursday, April 22, 2010

One of my favorite stories to tell...

How I met my husband... Part II

(Part I)

Where did I leave off? Oh yes! The future Mr. and Mrs. Darling loathed one another.

Fast forward another 3 months and it is time for my friend Amy to delivery her baby boy. Being the naturalist that she is, the plan was for her to labor in the Aquadoula (a giant inflatable bathtub) until time to deliver; then Mr. Darling would load her up and zoom over to the hospital just in time for the midwife to catch the baby.

Mr. Darling was game. He had gone to the Bradley birthing classes and, hey, they were watching Lord of the Rings II, so what could be more fun? I called every couple of hours to check on her and I figure it was getting close, so I called once more.

This time, Mr. Darling answered. The conversation, I mean monologue, went something like this...

"Hi, um, she can't talk, uh, like before, I think, um, she's gonna have the baby. Uh, I think she's fine. I think... I have to go... I need to call the midwife.... stammer stammer stammer..." CLICK!

Of course, I hang up the phone and start laughing hysterically at the poor guy. I mean, it isn't his wife, or his baby for that matter.... and he was FREAKING OUT!

HYSTERICAL!

(Okay, and just for about half a second, I actually had a nice thought about the guy... then I remembered he was a jerk... so I laughed at him some more.)

They arrived at the hospital in time, delivered a healthy baby boy, and life continued on.

Let's fast forward once again, but just a month this time. It's mid December, Amy and the kids are doing fine. Mr. Darling is still coming over regularly to do some honey-do stuff, make sure everyone is okay and (more than likely) get a home cooked meal. Me, I am back on the mainland going about my life. (And, of course, calling Amy every night to make sure she's okay.)

(Okay, here comes the weird part... please don't think I'm crazy.)

One night out of the blue, I end my nightly call with Amy, lie down, just about asleep, and I hear a voice. I am not sure if it was actually audible, but it was very clear, "He's the one" I immediately sit up and laugh out loud. Why I assumed the "He" was Mr. Darling, I don't know. But it was...and he was a jerk...so there was no way that "He" was the one.

The very next night, it happened again. "He's the one!" Now, I'm kinda getting freaked out. I'm hearing voices for goodness sake.

So, the next night I confide to Amy, "You wanna hear the stupidest thing in the entire world?" I proceed to tell her about the voice. She gets really quiet and doesn't say much... then changes the subject entirely. Odd. We finished our conversation, say good bye and hang up. But just a few minutes later she calls back, "I need to tell you something." Apparently the night before, Mr. Darling came over for dinner and out of the blue says, "Wouldn't it be weird if Mrs. Darling and I ending up married?"

Silence

Why on God's green Earth would two people who absolutely abhor each other randomly decide they are suppose to be married?

CREEPY!

(Apparently, you will now have to wait until Part III for the falling in love part. Coming Soon!)

I had no idea this story was so long. :)

1 comment:

  1. Pins and needles, I tell you, PINS AND NEEDLES! I'm loving this story :)

    ReplyDelete