Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Exceedingly Odd Phobia

I HATE talking on the phone to people I don't know. But more so, I fear it. I don't know why, but it is one of the most anxiety producing things in my life (and I have three kids 4 and under).

Seriously, if I have to call someone on the phone that I don't know, I spend at least an hour preparing for the conversation, stressing over it, trying to pump myself up and finally trying to find away around it.

I know, I'm pathetic! I admit it... it's just the way I have always been.

My parents tried for a while to cure me. When I was about 15 they decided that if I wanted to order pizza, I had to call them myself. We didn't have take-out again until I got my license and could drive to the place and order in person. (And, yes, then sit there until it was ready.)

On a positive, I now have no problem calling people that I do business with: customer service, tech support, places of business if I need directions. (Yes, I have successfully ordered myself pizza for the last 15 years or so.)

But to talk to someone I have never met for any other reason. Heart Attack... I kid you not.

Now, a while back, I decided to get involved in our church a bit more. So I signed up for the food ministry. You know, if someone needs a meal because they are sick or just had a baby, you put together a meal and get it to them. Our church calls it the Mary and Martha ministry. There are multiple teams of five people and each person on the team has a job... dessert, salad, bread, etc. Well, I figured I can make some food, no problem.... until the director calls me. She is desperate for someone to be the "Mary" of our team. I will have to call the person to see is they need anything and then call again a week later to check up on them. I immediately seized up and stalled. I told her about my phone anxiety, trying to convince her I was not the right person for the job. She assured me it would be fine. They have a packet that tells you exactly what to say. I finally agreed, cautiously. I thought, God is asking me to do this. I can do this... It is only a phone call!

Today, I got the dreaded call. I need to call someone who is having surgery tomorrow. Can I just tell you. NO PACKET. I never got any packet. She PROMISED me a PACKET! I have no idea what I am suppose to say to this woman. After and hour or two of stress and almost backing out, I finally called. She sounded like she didn't understand why I was calling. (That was fun!) I finally asked if she would like me to put her name on the prayer list. She sounded very upbeat about that. (Success!) I called the office at church to ask if I could put her name on the list and the secretary, sounding very annoyed, informed me it was already there. (Shame!)

I am NOT a "Mary." I cannot do this job. And now I have an entire week to stress about the follow-up call.

Seriously God, this is not funny. My parents tried this strategy when I was 15, it didn't work. And while I know you are a much better teacher than my parents, I am so not happy with your technique at the moment. Just saying....

2 comments:

  1. I have to just say that I thought I was reading a biography about myself when I read this! I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who goes through this. I know that most of the time it's my pride that makes me fear some type of failure or the fear of really just sounding like an idiot (even if it is a stranger!), but it's just so hard sometimes! And God always seems to give me those opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hate talking on the phone and went through a phobia phase for 5 years or so. What fixed me was seeing a Dr. Phil episode where there was a woman with the same fears. He told her the only way to cure it was to start calling people. So that's what I did and it did work. While I don't relish calling people, I don't sweat over it anymore. Hang in there, it can get better!

    ReplyDelete