Monday, March 29, 2010

I love shopping

So, I went to the store today... with ALL THREE KIDS.


I typically try to avoid activities such as this because it is just so darn stressful! However, I decided to go for it. So, I made an executive decision and we ventured forth to the store where the carts have trucks attached to the front.


Two kids sitting in the front truck - Check!

One kid belted in the normal child sitting area of the cart - Check!


We make it through about half of our shopping trip with no major events.


Request for cookies - Denied!
Request for candy - Denied!

Multiple request for balloons - Denied!

(Thank you, btw Mr. Store Manager, I think it's super awesome that you put giant mylar balloons with long strings hanging down just out of reach of my children all the way down an aisle that I have no choice but to go down. So, thanks for that.)

Then things start to unravel.

The kids would now rather hang out the windows of the truck... one from each side so that instead of taking up half the aisle, both kids can now reach their side of the aisle and touch everything we pass (with just one finger...'cause that is the rule). After a short conversation, said problem - Resolved!

The baby has decided to stand up and turn around so he can see what all the commotion is about. After multiple attempts of re-sitting the baby in a proper sitting position, re-tightening the belt to its tightest setting, I finally opt to hold the baby for the rest of the trip, thus allowing aforementioned problem - Resolved!

Finally, we get to the last item on the list... children's vitamins. It occurs to me I have never bought vitamins at this store, so we begin our search. After pushing the giganso cart with a giant truck attached to it up and down the pharmacy aisles with only one hand, (because I am still holding the baby who can't understand why flipping over the edge of the cart would not be beneficial to him). I finally spot the elusive vitamins. They are, that's right, directly underneath the pharmacy window which has at least three people waiting in line. So in my most pleasant voice I whisper excuse me and try to stretch underneath a lady's bag in order to obtain my stupid vitamins. (Do the kids really need vitamins, anyway?) - Success.

I take a glace back at the cart, the kids are behaving surprisingly well (playing "I got your nose" at somewhere between an inside voice and a too loud for the store voice). Not bad considering. The baby is making goo goo eyes at everyone in line. I'm excited because all we have left is checkout and everyone is still alive and sane. Then the man in the back of the line looks at me and says, "Man, you've got a lot of them." I smile and nod and hurry my little brood away, but I can't stop thinking about it. They weren't really behaving badly, why would he say that. I have three. Just three. The average is two; we only have one more. One more than the average. Is that really "a lot"?

I wonder what he would have said if my friend Courtney and her 7 kids had been there???

No comments:

Post a Comment